Updating Laravel Homestead

Recently I needed to update my Homestead VM to a more recent version, because I needed to run PHP 7.2. While you can just update PHP on a current Homestead instance, I was using a very old Homestead version and wanted to update it.

Moreover, I wanted to make sure I could do that in case something went wrong sometime. Also, that meant I had to have everything backed up.

My first instinct was to check the official documentation. However, there are a few missing steps there, so I started googling and… StackOverflowing? around. I thought I put this into a post, so I can refer to it later: Continue reading Updating Laravel Homestead

Enjoyable WordPress theming with Timber (and ACF)

I was thinking of doing an in-depth tutorial on Timber. A few days since I started a draft, CSS-Tricks published “Timber and Twig Reignited My Love for WordPress“, which is a great read. However, I decided to push some of it live because this plugin deserves more love.


I’ve built a lot of WordPress sites. Recently, it has become more tedious work for me. Not for their complexity —most of corporate sites are fairly straightforward—, but because of the amount of work you have to do in Spaghetti code.

This situation changed when I found two amazing plugins: ACF (Advanced Custom Fields) and of course, Timber. Continue reading Enjoyable WordPress theming with Timber (and ACF)

Loop list in batches using Twig (or plain PHP)

Recently I had to loop through a series of elements in a WordPress template (thanks Timber), which happened to be using Bootstrap.

If you ever used Bootstrap, you are familiar with the following markup:

The problem here is very common. You have to:

  • Loop every 3/4/n items.
  • Insert a separator or whatever every 3/4/n items.

Continue reading Loop list in batches using Twig (or plain PHP)

How to fix: MySQL not starting on MAMP (Pro)

I recently had to install MAMP Pro, in order to do some separate work from my Laravel Homestead VM.

After a weird Mac crash, MAMP would no longer start the MySQL server. This was the data from the logs:

To fix this, go to MAMP, File > Edit Template > MySQL > [version] and add the line highlighted below.

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
innodb_force_recovery = 1

The restart the server. After this you can comment out that line. Hopefully you will now be able to run the server again.